Welcome to a rapidly growing international company, thriving at the forefront of cutting edge technology. Westermo develops and manufactures advanced devices for industrial data communication, used in mission critical installations and harsh industrial environments. The very robust and secure communication networks built with our products provide a high value for our customers. Our Headquarters are in Västerås, where we are about 120 people working, primarily within R&D. Our manufacturing facility is in Stora Sundby, hosts another 120 employees. Together with our subsidiaries and sales office across the globe, we are about 370 employees, working together on development, sales, service and support functions such as IT, HR and Finance.
To be more specific, we design, produce and test our routers and switches. Our Hardware team works on both new- and redesign. Within our three Software teams, we develop our own Operating System, WeOS. We also work with a configuration tool called WeConfig. We run nightly tests, and a team works on developing our own automated test system.
At our factory in Stora Sundby, we produce our routers and switches. We have Purchasing, Planning, Logistics and Production Technology departments working towards the goal of being a "World Class Factory".
We are passionate about taking advantage of the growth opportunities in our market. The work environment is very dynamic with great loyalty and team spirit. It is expected to take initiative and our flat organization creates efficiency and provides the opportunity for those who are closest to the task of solving it.
For the spring semester of 2024, we will have a number of opportunities for students writing their thesis work. We are open to both Master and Bachelor thesis's. Below, you will find information about the thesis topics we are offering:
1. Software Development (Västerås) Suitable for students in Computer Science, Robotics, Embedded systems or similar.
We develop our own SW operating system that is a crucial part of our products, Network routers and switches. We need students to evaluate new techniques and features to become a part of our future pioneering operating system. From your education you need to have some programming experience and be comfortable working in a Linux based environment. Knowledge of Network Technologies is a plus but not a must.
2.1 Hardware Development (Västerås) Suitable for a student in Reliable Systems, Robotics, Electronics or similar
Westermo is known for our rugged products which comply with harsh standards regarding electrical and environmental requirements. This leads to a multi variable optimization problem which can lead to over designed input filters in the power supplies. There are no standard tools to do this efficiently since the normal optimization parameters for filter design only work for a single resistive source and sink impedance, while a power supply acts more like a current source and can have a variety of source impedances. The objective is to create a tool which with a set of parameters calculate a optimum input filter, the optimization requirements must be configurable.
- Perform a literature survey about power supply input filter design, keyword Middlebrook criteria, and standard requirements.
- Design and implement a tool to calculate a optimum input filter based on optimization criteria, preferably python but spreadsheet or other programming languages possible.
- Test filter in circuit simulator, ltspice or equivalent.
- Test design by building a input filter and test in a real test scenario.
2.2 Hardware /Product Design (Västerås) Suitable for students in product development, design, or mechanical engineering.
Investigate and conceptualize a future modular product line update, with the emphasis on a very low environmental impact, low material usage and with good heat dissipation, yet still very rugged. Produce a functional specification, weigh all relevant criteria, and compare concepts. Create a 3D-model of the chosen design concept and preferably also a physical model. Produce a final concept presentation to motivate the chosen design.
3. Technical Sales (Västerås) suitable for students in AI, Reliable Systems, Embedded Systems, Robotics or similar.
The thesis subject we suggest is to work with developing methods and models for data analyses within sales. You would analyse sales data to identify patterns and opportunities, including coming up with a suggestion on what kind of data that is needed for such analysis.
4. Production Development (Stora Sundby) Suitable for students in Production Engineering, Industrial Engineering or similar.
Westermo is on a digitalization journey, towards the connected, smart factory. In this thesis, we would like you to investigate the maturity level of the factory, and suggest Industry 4.0 tools that can be implemented.
5. Purchasing (Stora Sundby or Västerås) Suitable for Students in Industrial Engineering, Production /Logistics/Supply Chain Engineering or similar
At the Purchasing department, we would like students to evaluate methods of a supply chain mapping. The work will thus consists on methods how to best map and sort our suppliers and analyze were optimizations could be made. For instance mapping could be made geographically, what type of commodity and how large of a supplier they are. After mapping them out, suggest actions that could potentially cut costs or obtain other advantages.
- Studying at a Swedish University
- Having a Swedish Social Security Number (personnummer/samordningsnummer)
- Can do their thesis during the spring semester of 2024.
Apply with the following attachments:
- Transcripts of grades/courses
- Application letter where you specify which area you would like to write your thesis about
Last day to apply: 2023-11-30, but recruitment is on-going and students can be selected before last date.
Location: Kopparlunden, Västerås or Stora Sundby (outside Eskilstuna)
For further Information, please contact Recruiter Elin Sandell at email@example.com