Welcome to a rapidly growing international company, thriving at the forefront of cutting edge technology. Westermo develops and manufactures advanced devices for industrial data communication, used in mission-critical installations and harsh industrial environments. The very robust and secure communication networks built with our products provide a high value for our customers.
We are focused on leveraging growth opportunities in our market and are devoted to delivering the world's best industrial networks. This is achieved through a very dynamic work environment where teamwork and loyalty are valued. Strong and honest relationships with colleagues, customers, and suppliers are important to us. We have an open culture where we share knowledge, learn from one another and explore new ideas, allowing us to constantly improve.
At Westermo, there are no limits on what you can accomplish. As an Engineering Technician, you will be responsible for debugging the next generation of ruggedised routers and making recommendations for continuous improvements in partnership with electrical and hardware engineering team, suppliers and supplier management teams, sales, service teams.
Are you our new Engineering Technician?
What You Can Expect to Do
You will be responsible for overseeing and tracking the formal Failure Analysis (FA) of manufactured products and customer-returned product. You will carry out board and system level analysis at the electrical and physical level, identifying root cause, and establishing an associated containment plan. In this role you will work with various engineering and manufacturing groups to evaluate and implement corrective actions (CAs) for the identified issues. You will also be required to regularly communicate results to the Hardware Engineering and Operations Teams as well as other Westermo engineering and supply chain teams. Additionally, you will need to sustain knowledge of device capabilities and characteristics along with a basic understanding of the associated manufacturing processes.
You will be someone who enjoys communicating with all functional areas within the company and across Westermo Group companies in areas such as R&D, Operations, Product Management and Technical Sales.
The Technician must be able to use precision electronic instruments and hand tools to work on through-hole and SMT boards, inspects, test, repair, programs and troubleshoots a wide variety of analog and digital electronic assemblies consisting of variety of printed circuit boards. You will address product performance gaps to meet specifications and maintain quality standards.
Responsibilities and Tasks
- Inspect, test, repair and program and troubleshoot down to component level, record test results to ensure product conformity to design standards on a variety of printed circuit boards.
- Work from schedules, work orders, schematics, blueprints, and other instructions.
- A part of New Product Introduction Team (NPI) take part in prototype assembly and troubleshooting directly and facilitate in product transition to Production.
- Identify and communicate issues related to production quality, develop resolutions and participate in implementation with cross-functional teams.
- Assist Production Engineer to accomplish system level repair/rework tasks or assembly, including reliable SMT component or microchip replacement as needed.
- Promptly reports any malfunctioning test equipment or fixtures to increase efficiency, reduce waste, and improve cycle time.
- Perform other related duties as assigned. Manage Failure Analysis (FA) of manufactured products and customer-returned product. Coordinate detailed component level analysis (electrical (EFA) and physical (PFA)) and interpret results.
Manage Communication of Results with Manufacturing and Engineering Teams
- Review feedback/Corrective Action (CA) from various manufacturing areas
- Ask follow-up questions as necessary to provide an adequate customer response.
- Translate results to a customer friendly format for the Operations Team
- Analyse data from various sources for trends and variations.
- Communicate the needed process improvements.
Provide Weekly Reports to the Hardware Engineering and Operations Teams
- Summarize the background and FA results.
- Identify the root cause and potential improvements for use in reports.
- Identify and provide containment information associated risk assessment.
- Generate both interim and final FA reports for site wide consumption.
- Maintain Knowledge of Device Capabilities and Characteristics
- Understand the latest cellular router and networking technologies.
- Recognize differences from previous technology nodes with the associated risks.
- Understand the datasheet specifications for each device.
- Stay up to date on common customer applications.
- Partner with field support teams to understand ongoing customer status.
The technician will be self-motivated with a results-driven approach and the ability to read and interpret complex engineering schematics, electronic circuits, hardware, and software applications and will be hands-on with test equipment and tools. They will have general manufacturing processes experience with excellent communication and interpersonal skills – having In-Circuit and/or Functional Test experience would be a plus.
- Two-year technical college qualification or equivalent required Or equivalent experience
- Solder training IPC Solder Joint Inspection training.
- Minimum 2 years of experience with
- Electronics and electronic schematics to troubleshoot circuit boards, or
- Production automation, programming, communication protocols, etc.
- 3 years’ experience in each of the following:
- Ability to read schematic diagrams, electronic assembly drawings, engineering change orders, test procedures and rework documents.
- Ability to use electronic bench test equipment; oscilloscope, digital multimeter, spectrum analyzer, signal generator, oscilloscopes, and other precision electronic instruments.
- Ability to use hand and power tools and other material handling equipment.
- Networking-related and/or cellular-related background
- Strong problem solving and analytical skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Good individual work habits and ability to work effectively in cross-functional teams.
- Proficiency with Microsoft applications
- Ability to handle occasional high stress situations in a professional manner.
- Willing to work occasional abnormal hours to provide support for overseas customers or technical teams at other Westermo sites.
In return, we offer:
You will be working at the forefront of technology in a friendly, open culture where you will have the opportunity to learn from skilled colleagues every day.
Great opportunities for personal development!
The successful candidate will benefit from generous company pension contributions of up to 12.5% of salary, health insurance and income protection insurance
We offer financial assistance to employees wanting to extend their academic or professional qualifications.
An opportunity to work in an environment where you can perform at your best and enjoy!
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Job type: Full time
Employment contract: Permanent
Don’t miss out on this opportunity – apply today!
Robust industrial data communications.
Westermo is a leading provider of Industrial Data Communications equipment to the global market. Sales are conducted through our own offices in key markets in Europe, North America, Australia and Asia, as well as through distributors and OEM customers worldwide. Development and manufacturing take place in Sweden, Ireland, Germany and Switzerland. Westermo was founded in 1975 and today has over 480 employees.